Tuesday, July 20, 2010

... become and expert chocolatier in Brussles

In Brussels we took a city tour which was a fantastic way to see the whole city since we saw about ten different things we didnt know were in Brussels. They had held the World Fair their and built a huge monument for it that is an Iron atom which is so cool! We also went to the Delirium Cafe where they serve over 100 beers, Chipper tasted some, Anna and I abstained. But I did have some Brussels moules (mussels) that were great! Oh great now Mom is going to make me eat mussels all the time now... Our hotel was by the headquarters of the President of the EU, the second time we have stayed by the Eu buildings in our weekend city! The country of Belgium is not only famous for its mussels and chocolate (which I will get too in one minutes) but also their monarchy. We say pictures of their King and Queen and the Heir apparent and wife in all the shops and their subjects seemed to looooove them. It was also a tad disconcerting to be shown botanical gardens and cathedrals and told that it was for the use of the royal family and they were only open to the public on certain days out of the year. Ummm hello 21st century pretty sure withholding things from the common people is how many a revolution started... might want to think about that King Albert! Now on to Chocolate, so important it must be capitalized! We got to tour a chocolate shop, and by "got to" I really mean I made Anna and Chip take the tour, and we learned how chocolate is made from start to finish, a very riveting slideshow detailed the trek and I was amazed by how the standards of cleanliness got more extreme from Africa to Belgium... seriously think about it. After the slideshow and talk with a chocolatier he asked if anyone wanted to make some molds, well you know me if it has to do with baking or cooking I am in like flint so my hand shot up and so did I. I got to pour the melted chocolate into the molds and scrape the excess of and then wait for it to "freeze" meaning the helper went and got another slate out of the freezer and I got to ound the mold really hard on the counter to make the little chocolate men fall out! There were nine of them and only two didnt fall out, so I tried again and alas they became decapitated. But the guy said that eight out of ten was really good so maybe I can add chocolatier to my list of accomplishments!

No comments:

Post a Comment